Advanced Care Planning
Advance Care Planning Mobile
What are your wishes?
Perhaps you have thought about the type of life-sustaining care you would want. Maybe you have run through various scenarios in your mind. But have you told your family or doctor about your wishes? Could someone make decisions for you if you were suddenly unable to make them for yourself?

It can be hard to talk about this topic, but it is very important. Having a conversation can reduce the stress and uncertainty for everyone if something happens.

Plan for your medical care on your terms by having a conversation. Make sure your wishes are known, so they can be honored.

What is an Advance Care Plan?
The two forms that are part of an advance care plan are also known as advance directives. These two forms are a healthcare power of attorney and a living will.

Healthcare Power of Attorney
A healthcare power of attorney authorizes someone that you choose to make decisions on your behalf when you are medically unable to make the decisions on your own.

Living Will
A living will lets you express your wishes for specific medical treatment, in case you become unable to communicate your decisions on your own. You are encouraged to complete both of these forms to make sure that your medical team has the most information about how you would want to receive care.

In Pennsylvania, there is also an advance directive form called POLST that is recommended for people with serious health conditions. A POLST (Pennsylvania Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) is signed by your doctor, and translates your end-of-life wishes into a physician order.

Ready to take action?

Completed Advance Directive Forms

It is recommended that you give copies of your advance directive forms to your:

Family doctor  |  Hospital  |  Family members

You should also keep a copy of each for your records. If you would like your advance directive forms included in your medical record with the Lancaster General Health system, you can email a copy to

For specific questions or to schedule a meeting with an advance care planning facilitator, please call 717-544-4047 or email


Click here for FAQs about POLST orders.


Please contact 717-544-4047 or email for information on community seminars and individual consultations.